... and visca versa

The gradual exchange of knowledge, thought and ideas from one source to many...

Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

... my bestest quote ever

Putting 
one's head, one's eye and one's heart 
on the same axis

Nov 2010_ early morning 7:00 am swim_ Salt Rock tidal pool

This morning, I was reading "A Dialogue with Photography"_ (Paul Hill and Thomas Cooper) and once again came across my all time favorite quote by Henri Cartier Bresson (HCB). Every time I read these lines,  I feel,  I discover Photography more...and one of my images jumped to mind...so  I also decided to share this with you. 
 •
"It's a way of Life"
HCB's writings and some of my favourite images
 

HCB says:
"For me the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity, the master of the instant, which - in visual terms - questions and decides simultaneously.


In "order to give meaning" to the world, one has to feel ones self involved in what one frames through the viewfinder.


This attitude requires concentration, a discipline of the mind, sensitivity and a sense of geometry. It is by great economy of means that one arrives at simplicity of expression. One must always take photos with the greatest respect for the subject and oneself.


To take a Photograph means to recognize - simultaneously and within a fraction of a second - both the fact its self and the rigorous organization of visually perceived forms that give it its meaning. 


It is putting one's head, one's eye and one's heart on the same axis. (2005:66)


 

Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. I love the last image!!! very cool angle and nice subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the second photo especial the angle of view it a bird eye view wich makes it different from the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About (JJ) image i like it,it show the innocence of the child.ya it cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful pic by JJ kip it up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. About the video i think it how different people can change one image according to how they see it.

    ReplyDelete